We were woken up around 4:00 am by the motion of the boat. The current was ripping through and the wind picked up. Dave and I each checked the holding of the anchor and our immediate surroundings. We also checked to see if our neighbors were holding firm on their anchors. Everything looked fine and we went back to bed. Dave got up periodically to keep an eye on things and I stayed in bed and let him.
I got up at 8:00 to give Gizmo his medicines. Since it is going to be a rocking and rolling kind of day on the boat, I wanted to get his anti-nausea medicine in early. Gizmo felt a little insecure this morning with all of the motion on the boat, but seemed to be taking it pretty well.
Dave woke up hungry, so we suffered at anchor with French toast and homemade blueberry compote. Dave and I voted that mom needs to make a pot of her famous chicken and dumplings today. We are not going anywhere, not onshore to see the iguanas (which are all seeking shelter now anyway), not to a different key, and not even out on the dinghy. We are holing up until the wind subsides!
Later… The anchor is holding firm, but the wind and current are giving the boats in the anchorage a beating. By 4:00 pm, three boats left the anchorage, braving the possible 12 foot seas and 30 knot winds in order to seek refuge at Highborne Marina. It is not very far away, about five miles, but a rough ride to get there! The marina is very well protected with land all around and only a narrow opening for access. We would rather ride it out in the anchorage, preferring anchored life to tethered life. We didn’t see any nurse sharks in the marina! The worst is due to hit around 7:00 pm tonight with winds shifting to the northwest (they are from the west now). Meanwhile, we are catching up on some much needed rest.