This morning Dave and I woke bright and early. First, we tried to listen to Chris Parker’s SSB weather broadcast, but again had no luck. Then I sat at the chart plotter and set 20 waypoints for our route to Compass Cay Marina. The entrance is narrow and tricky and we had to get it right! I discovered how to build a route and connected all my waypoints to draw out the route for Dave to follow. Dave vowed to go super slowly through any narrow or questionable passes. We timed our entry for high tide and I sat at the bow to keep watch for any shallow areas or potential trouble zones.
This system worked like a charm and we eased right into Compass Cay Marina. Line assistance was provided and tied up in no time. High fives all around! We immediately took mom to visit the resident “pet” nurse sharks and she loved it! She got right in and pet them without any coaxing.
Michael and Cherie showed up and Jamal grilled us up some delicious burgers. Jamal is Tucker Rolle’s son and Tucker is the owner of the island. Everyone here is so friendly and welcoming. Honestly, everyone we have met in the Bahamas is friendly, except in Nassau. Nassau is a different beast. Jamal also contacted a local, David Mitchell, that does boat repairs and Dave arranged to have him come inspect and possibly temporarily patch up our keel damage.
David Mitchell (DM to avoid David confusion) came right away and inspected the damage. He verified that it wasn’t that bad, but it needed patching to keep from delaminating. DM chiseled out the rough edges and filled the holes with underwater putty. Two hours after arriving, he called it good and told us that he didn’t think we needed to change our plans because of the damage. We should just haul it out and have it properly repaired at the first place that can handle the beam of our boat. This may not be until the Virgin Islands. DM did warn us to dive on it occasionally to make sure the putty doesn’t work its way out and, if it did, to find something to shove in there to plug it up.
With the boat good to go, we walked across the island to the bat cave to watch them come out at dusk. Dave noticed some nasty looking clouds on the horizon and felt we should head back to the boat right away instead of waiting for the bats. I agreed and we barely made it before the squall arrived. I mean I had literally just put my feet on the boat when the wind kicked up and the rain started. It was only a prefrontal squall, so we buttoned up tight and are awaiting tonight’s storm.