Frequently Asked Questions for Janice & Dave Rowland
About Our Journey
- What inspired you to embark on this adventure together? Did either of you have to convince the other?
- How long have you been planning for this journey?
- How long do you plan to be gone?
- What countries do you plan to visit? Is your itinerary set or flexible?
- How do you pass through immigration and customs when you visit each country?
- Are you taking currency with you for each country you plan to visit?
- Are you selling your home and storing all of your things?
- Dave, what are you most looking forward to during your journey?
- Janice, what are you most looking forward to during your journey?
Training & Preparation
- What training have you gone through and what certifications have you achieved to prepare you for this journey?
- Will you be packing clothes for both cold and warm climates?
- What special items are you packing to ensure you have a safe and happy journey?
- In speaking with other couples that have embarked on similar adventures, what’s the worst thing that has ever happened to them? And what lessons were learned?
- How will you keep track of your bills (e.g., insurance policies, credit cards)?
- How will you file your annual federal and state tax returns?
- What happens if you’re called for jury duty while you’re gone?
Safety & Security
- How will you avoid hurricanes and typhoons during your travels at sea?
- What happens if one of you gets really sick or injured?
- What special medical supplies and equipment will you have on board?
- Will your health insurance policies cover you while traveling abroad for so long?
- Will you receive periodic medical evaluations, such as physicals, gynecological exams, mammograms, and dental check-ups?
- Will you be sailing off the coast of Africa? If so, are you concerned about Somali pirates?
- What kind of life raft does your sailboat have? And how do you call for help in the middle of the ocean?
- What kind of sailboat will you be traveling on?
- How many square feet of living space do you have both inside and outside the cabin?
- How much storage space do you have on board for food and clothing?
- How many gallons of fresh water can your boat store?
- Does your sailboat have an engine? If so, under what circumstances will you use it?
- On average, how many miles do you expect to travel per day at sea?
- Do you expect to have days at sea without any wind at all?
- How and when does your sailboat generate electricity? Will electricity be working at all times, day and night?
- Does your sailboat have heating and air conditioning?
- Does your sailboat have any traditional kitchen appliances, such as a refrigerator, freezer, microwave, stove, oven, or dishwasher?
- Does your sailboat have a clothes washer and dryer?
- Does your sailboat have a television with satellite service?
Life At Sea
- What is the longest stretch of days you plan to sail without seeing land?
- How can you keep food fresh for weeks at a time?
- How often will you catch fish for meals?
- When you’re traveling for weeks at a time, will you have enough fresh water to shower every day?
- Will you have satellite phone and/or Internet access?
- Aside from the obvious things married couples do, how will you entertain yourselves for weeks at a time at sea?
- Will someone always be awake to steer the boat or will you rely on cruise control?