Dave’s parents arrived safely yesterday, so we have two new crew for a while: John and Angie. The original plan was to leave today, but that is not going to happen. The sides are still being sanded, primed, and painted and Ted Weyhrauch, our project manager, has a few things to finish up himself. He is still waiting for the heat exchangers – which are now expected to be delivered tomorrow – as well as a mast slide and trampoline slides. If the heat exchangers do come in, we can still sail without the slides and have them forwarded to us instead of waiting on them. However, we cannot leave the dock without our engines or while the painting is in process and so we wait.
We also need to make a test sail with Ted to test and learn the new systems before we leave for good. Everyone recommends setting a hard date to cast off and sticking to it no matter what. Well, our cast off date is a soft one out of necessity. We are anxious to get going, though. Once cleared to go, we hope to make an overnight sail to the Dry Tortugas, about 70 miles west of Key West. Our hard date is to be in Miami by January 4th to meet my mom, Pat, who is bringing our deck hand, Gizmo. It will depend on our departure date and the weather as to whether we will be able visit the Dry Tortugas to test out the hookah system at the islands, but perhaps it will be too cold anyway.
Fortunately, John and Angie are easy going and don’t mind being tied to the dock. Meanwhile, life doesn’t suck while we keep working on the boat and enjoying beautiful sunsets and our fine feathered friends.