We were itching to go, but still waiting on other people to finish jobs. Funny how when you can’t do something is when you want to do it the most. Or when you can’t buy something is when you suddenly can’t live without it. Well, we were tired of being docked and our month was up on Tuesday, so it was time to go. Antigua is calling our names! Slow Dancing and Mile High Dream want to buddy boat with us and they are more than ready to go. We are all feeling the need to go, but another issue may be working against us. That potential hurricane weather in the Bahamas has created huge swells traveling down the Caribbean chain. But I’ll get back to that.
The refrigerator guy came on Sunday for the third time, his day off. He brought his son along because he had an invitation to go to the movies and they were hoping to make it after finishing our job. This time he was to install the compressor we picked up at Island Water World. He used a blow torch to remove the welding holding it in place.
This was the culprit. It took all day to replace the compressor, watch for leaks, make sure the gas pressure was correct, and make sure that replacing the compressor actually fixed the problem. Unfortunately his son missed the movie, but he thought his friends may reschedule for another day. But, hey, at least our fridge is working, right?
Custom Fit Marine had to put the final seal on the windows, the window screens installed, a new compressor installed in one of the refrigerators, and a control board installed in the watermaker. All the parts were in and just waiting to be put in their respective places. Custom Fit Marine finished the windows Monday evening and Jackie and Harmony were there Tuesday morning to install the screens, pictured top of page. Our new shady view is awesome. We can see out but the sun can’t shine through. This should keep the salon much cooler.
I need to show another picture of this. I mean, look at the beautiful job Sew Nautical did on these screens. Not a wrinkle to be found. The only bulge is from the hatch handles in middle of the windshield. So unless you are Catherine on Mowzer, who can make her own and do just as professional a job, I highly recommend Jackie’s company, Sew Nautical in St Martin. For our cruising friends, here is her information: +590690771235, email@example.com. With both window jobs done, we hope it rains hard before we leave to make sure there are no leaks. The watermaker guy also showed up to install the control board, but I didn’t take a picture. It seems to have fixed the problem and the watermaker is working once again. There is a whole debate on the virtues of watermakers. All I can say is the convenience of having it while it is working is great, but it is certainly cheaper to just buy water when you need it if water is available. We have probably paid for at least 5 years’ worth of water in what we have sunk into the watermaker in the past year!
The yaw bearings came in and Dave and I worked to remove the generator from the pole. It was a chore but, by supporting the weight with the Spinnaker halyard and winching it up to lift the wind generator off, we did get it down to work on it.
Remember how I was saying that we are trying to do more ourselves but some jobs are beyond our capabilities? Well, the key is knowing which ones you can do and which ones you can’t. The wind generator we can’t. We got it off the pole and Dave started disassembling it, but he quit at step 5 of about 50. It is way too complicated and we may get to a point where we cannot put it back together again. It was a major job just to put it back together and back on its pole. But it’s there now, not connected, but there. We will need to hire someone to finish that job! Looks like we will be without wind power for a while. We do not want to delay longer for that. Fortunately, most of our power comes from solar!
So, right at the last minute, all of the jobs came together (except our failed wind generator attempt) and we are ready to go. Now, it is Wednesday and that swell coming from the north has been wreaking havoc with all the boats in the anchorages. Suddenly Simpson’s Lagoon is the place to be and the outside anchorages are clearing out. We are experiencing a lot of surge in the marina as well. Chris Parker was calling for 10 foot swells around Sunday and Monday. They may have decreased a little on Tuesday, but if they did we couldn’t tell from the surge. Now on Wednesday, Parker is calling for the swells to hit 12 feet! Sailing in big swells spaced apart is not a problem. The wind is light, so there are no wind waves on top of the swells. The problem is where to anchor once we leave. It might be a little uncomfortable for us on a catamaran, but it will be more so for our friends on the monohulls. The biggest problem is that the swells are lifting the boats so high that their anchors are being pulled out. There have been multiple reports of boats dragging over the last few days. So here we are, all dressed up and no place to go. So we didn’t check out of the marina on Tuesday. We are still at the dock waiting now for our weather/sea window.